From: Gregorio Guidi <greg_g@g.o>
To: Rick Jenkins <rick@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o, kde@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:13:19
> Hi, > > I'd like to move my systems from the monolithic kde-3.5 to the split > ebuilds. The forums and wikis show several means of unmerging the > monolithic version, but they don't all seem to work. For instance, from the > wiki at: > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_KDE_3.3_to_KDE_3.4 > > suggests: > > # for x in `equery d kde` > > > do > > emerge -C --ask $x > > done
With respect to the wiki, you are free to discuss and make edits to it as it is a resource made by users for users.
> It seems the best command is later in the same wiki: > > emerge -Ca /var/db/pkg/kde-base/*-3.4.* > > Which looks good to me, tested with -Cp instead of -Ca. > > It might be helpful if you could add a known-working script to your HOWTO. > I attach a crude candidate, which does the whole thing at once, not > package-by-package as you suggest. Any suggestions or improvements would be > very welcome. > > All the best,
Talking of the official documentation, it seems parts of the split ebuilds howto are pretty outdated at the moment, in fact the part related to removing kde is better explained in the kde configuration howto, which should work as your script does. Probably a nice plan would be to revise all the old information in the split ebuilds howto and possibly move something to the kde configuration howto (split ebuilds are not a novelty anymore), but I don't know if someone is available for the task... Thanks for your suggestions. Gregorio -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list