From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] 2007.0 mojo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:27:33
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 23:54 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
> 1) kick out any and all code references to 2.4 kernels, assuming none > are available for that arch -- note that things like vanilla-sources > (which may have been a 2.4 kernel package) are unsupported. 2.6 only as > much as possible.
No architectures are shipping 2.4-enabled media. You can still do an install for 2.4 on a couple arches, but nobody's shipping it.
> 2) update kernel install directions: no more "cp vmlinuz foo" or any > more "cp arch/whatever bar". let's get this thing modernized. No need > for it; a simple "make && make modules_install && make install" does the > whole thing for you, no manual intervention is required, beyond reading > grub.conf to make sure it's pointed to kernel /vmlinuz. "make install" > is much better than the cp crap.
Personally, I don't like this one, but I'm not really the one making the calls here. My main complaint is that it's actually very inconsistent in what it does across multiple architectures. As someone who owns (and uses) 9 architectures, I prefer the manual instructions better as it gives me a clearer picture of what is actually going on behind the scenes.
> Thoughts? Also, can I get some help in tracking down people from the > alpha, hppa, sparc, and MIPS arch teams on answering a few questions, > such as do they have a packages CD for this release (or any other > CD/media changes), what version will their included kernel be, any > changes to the CFLAGS currently listed at the top of handbook-$arch.xml, > etc. Maybe someone from releng knows all that? Would be much > appreciated, thanks. Well, in addition to finding out the usual "has > anything changed in the install procedures for your arch in this > release". ;)
Well, all you have to do is ask. ;] Alpha and SPARC will have a packages CD. I'll get the rest for you today.
> I figure we have two weeks, tops, to make this all happen, so let's pull > it together and get rolling. I've already added the networked stuff to > draft/ and have begun working on them. Go get 'em! :)
-- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee Gentoo Foundation