From: Chema Alonso <nimiux@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:42:34
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 06:22:34PM -0700, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 08:39:41 +0200
3 > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > > 2. Translation project leads and "official" language status. Any
6 > > > comments as to the changes here?
7 > >
8 > > Sure. I wanted to make it a bit less formal without lowering the
9 > > requirements. Now, the document sais that a language should be
10 > > backed up by a translation team where at least one member (the
11 > > translation project lead) has commit access. If this isn't the
12 > > case, then it is an "unsupported" language where the documents are
13 > > still published, but not linked.
14 >
15 > Fine with me; I assume the translators are okay with this, too.
18 Ok with this. The draft looks fine to me.
19
20 Thanks!
21
22 > > > 3. Join-up process. No formal "X number of contributions per
23 > > > period Y." Works well enough for me, but then "how much does this
24 > > > potential recruit actually do for us" becomes subjective
25 > > > hand-waving. We would need a new metric to determine commitment
26 > > > over time. Ideas?
27 > >
28 > > I'm not sure we need one. Imo, the GDP project lead decides when
29 > > phase 2 starts (and as such when a mentor is assigned). From then
30 > > onwards, it is the mentor who is in charge of defining when the
31 > > recruitment can be started.
32 > >
33 > > If we need a more objective metric to start with, I'd rather do it
34 > > on timeframe ("... sufficient document changes over a term of at
35 > > least 4 months"), which holds twice then (first and second phase).
36 > >
37 > > After all, developers that have been less or inactive for some time
38 > > are slated to be retired anyhow, either fully (from the Gentoo
39 > > project) or from the GDP (removal of the GDP page and perhaps
40 > > cvsdoc commit rights).
41 >
42 > This makes sense.
43 >
44 > Alright, commit the thing. I like it.