From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:49:02
Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
> I think that SYSVIPC should be enabled by everyone. Inter Process > Communication in style of SystemV is good thing. My apps are using it > so no one knows if it's not needed in n-number of developers. Also I > like Shared Memory, Pipes, FIFO etc. This should be enabled in kernel > by default. > > Mateusz M. >
I don't disagree that other programs can use it but it took us all a while to figure out why the nvidia drivers wasn't working. When the problem started, I checked the things listed on the docs but did not know to check this. This may very well need to be mentioned somewhere else but it may need to be mentioned on the nvidia and possibly ATI driver docs as well. This was a hair puller for sure and it is not mentioned anywhere in the docs and we all know that Gentoo has some awesome docs. I don't mind filing a bug but wasn't sure if that was what was needed or not. I certainly wouldn't want someone to go through the same as I did. I was starting to look at hardware problems and buying things when the fix was found. Bad thing is, new hardware would have done the same thing. Dale :-) :-)