From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:49:02
1 Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
2 > I think that SYSVIPC should be enabled by everyone. Inter Process
3 > Communication in style of SystemV is good thing. My apps are using it
4 > so no one knows if it's not needed in n-number of developers. Also I
5 > like Shared Memory, Pipes, FIFO etc. This should be enabled in kernel
6 > by default.
7 >
8 > Mateusz M.
12 I don't disagree that other programs can use it but it took us all a
13 while to figure out why the nvidia drivers wasn't working. When the
14 problem started, I checked the things listed on the docs but did not
15 know to check this. This may very well need to be mentioned somewhere
16 else but it may need to be mentioned on the nvidia and possibly ATI
17 driver docs as well. This was a hair puller for sure and it is not
18 mentioned anywhere in the docs and we all know that Gentoo has some
19 awesome docs.
20
21 I don't mind filing a bug but wasn't sure if that was what was needed or
22 not. I certainly wouldn't want someone to go through the same as I
23 did. I was starting to look at hardware problems and buying things when
24 the fix was found. Bad thing is, new hardware would have done the same
25 thing.
26
27 Dale
28