From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Nagios 3 guide
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 00:15:27
1 On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:02 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 > > My focus is not on Nagios itself - we don't need to document Nagios,
4 > > they have documentation editors themselves. However, the document
5 > > would focus on installing Nagios on the master server, installing the
6 > > necessary plugins on the clients, configuring nrpe/check_ssh on Gentoo
7 > > systems and integrating Gentoo-specific metrics.
8 >
9 > Who knew integrating Gentoo specific metrics was this easy - just
10 > download some scripts and integrate them ;-)
11 >
12 > Well, I've somewhat finished what I could do for the Nagios guide.
13 > Although it does talk about remote system integration (using
14 > check_nrpe and a quick pointer on passwordless SSH) it definitely
15 > needs some more lovin' on this behalf.
16 >
17 > At this moment, I'm waiting for Nagios 3 to become stable on Gentoo so
18 > that I can rerun the guide over again on a clean install (to make sure
19 > no errors are in it) but please, everybody with some experience with
20 > Nagios and some free time, take a look at the document
21 > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nagios-guide.xml) and add in some
22 > paragraphs on topics you want to see added as well.
23
24 I was planning on giving you some CVS diffs. ;]
25
26 > Dertobi wanted to see a chapter on extending the installation - if you
27 > have a few pointers I don't mind taking a stab at this as well.
28
29 Well, Tobias mentioned the nagios-plugins-snmp package in the tree.
30 I've got something like 20 or 30 more Nagios-related packages in my
31 company's overlay. I didn't add them to the tree because I didn't want
32 to maintain them, knowing that I was close to retirement.
33
34 I *do* plan on making the packages available via an overlay. Hopefully,
35 they'll be picked up by someone from the netmon team and added to the
36 tree.
37
38 I guess that I should also mention that I have several modifications to
39 Nagios' ebuilds, along with Cacti (and several other SNMP management
40 packages) which I will also be making available. I've been working on
41 an extension to the HOST-RESOURCES MIB to get package information and
42 export it via SNMP, much like is done on RPM-based distributions, but
43 it's taking a bit longer than I had originally anticipated. That's
44 honestly the only "Gentoo-specific" items that I can recall which
45 someone would want.
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Ex-Developer