From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:21:52
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:41:06PM +0200, Xavier Neys wrote:
3 >
4 >>Disclaimer & redirect
5 >> (*) Yea () Nay
6 >>
7 >>Note about more recent English version
8 >> (*) Yea () Nay
9 >
10 > I do have ears for flammie's points, but I think "timed redirects" are well
11 > supported and used often enough. And they're part of the standard as well :)
12
13 A/ redirect
14
15 My ears heard Flammie as well :)
16 Delayed redirects are supported and do not even break the back button anymore
17 in recent browsers.
18 Anyway, the redirect attribute is a structured way of saying 'This is doc has
19 been replaced by that doc'.
20 It is *not* a way of turning docs into a slide show or make the handbook jump
21 from one chapter to the next.
22 Now, if users complain about those delayed redirects, we can do several things:
23 1) if the doc still receives many hits, we can ask infra to add
24 rewrite/redirect in the web server config
25 2) if we had to keep some content in the doc, it's trivial to add a test and
26 omit the delayed redirect on docs that contain more than an arbitrary number
27 of elements, e.g. more than 1 <section> and 1 <p>
28 3) we can drop the delayed redirect if it proves really troublesome to our users
29
30 I do not expect many hits on those outdated files and the delayed redirect is
31 probably the best we can do on www.g.o, but it is not the only way:
32 http://gentoo.neysx.org/doc/fr/gentoo-x86-install.xml
33
34 The redirect attribute is only available in <guide> and should contain the new
35 uri.
36
37 B/ Disclaimer
38
39 A disclaimer attribute can be used on <book> and <guide> tags. Its value can
40 be one of (articles|oldbook|draft|obsolete). Inserted text comes from
41 inserts-en.xml and is displayed at the top of the content area.
42
43 Sample at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/fr/gentoo-x86-install.xml
44
45 C/ Note about outdated translations
46
47 A note will be displayed under the date when a translation is either not
48 maintained or outdated.
49 This works only if
50 1) the link attribute has the full path to the doc, not just the file name
51 2) it starts with /doc/XX/, XX != en
52
53 The original to compare to is found using /doc/XX/metadoc.xml which is why
54 metadoc has become a requirement for translations.
55
56 Sample: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/fr/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7
57
58 D/ Note about the date and inserts-XX.xml
59
60 It has been tricky for some languages to translate 'Updated' to make it work
61 by just appending the date.
62 As translating 'The original version of this document was last updated '+$DATE
63 might prove even more difficult, I have added the <docdate/> placeholder in
64 inserts.
67 /me needs to update xml-guide.xml
68
69 Cheers,