From: "David A. Desrosiers" <desrod@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Repository of current Gentoo documentation?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:57:50
1 On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 13:38 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Should do the trick; you can set up a cron job to automatically fetch
3 > the latest snapshot. Note that you can replace [en] in the link with
4 > the two letter language code of your choice for docs in other
5 > languages, if desired.
6
7 While somewhat useful in that these tarballs contain many more docs than
8 fetching them one-by-one from the server over http, I'm still fetching
9 them from the server over http, only this time I can't do it in a way
10 that guarantees I stay current.
11
12 The problem is that once a single byte in the original data has changed,
13 the entire compressed stream differs from that byte onward, but tools
14 like wget, curl, LWP, and so on.. don't know to rewind to the changed
15 bytes and refetch from THAT point forward. They simply look at
16 Content-Length and fetch from the current bytecount until they reach the
17 end.
18
19 So I'll end up fetching it with wget, then delete it, and refetch it
20 again when I know content has changed, or when my cronjob has
21 completed.
22
23 This means I'm actually using (wasting?) MORE bandwidth than fetching
24 the rendered HTML (or XML) versions from the server directly by checking
25 Last-Modified headers and only fetching content when it has changed.
26
27 I'll see what I can come up with to work out a better compromise to this
28 situation. A public svn/cvs would be helpful (I've been told its coming,
29 but "Not Ready Yet(tm)", or an rsync server to fetch the docs directly
30 from the tree.
34 David A. Desrosiers
35 desrod@×××××××××××.com
36 http://gnu-designs.com