From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Gentoo Linux Genkernel Guide
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:30:46
1 On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 21:05 +0100, Aniruddha wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I noticed that the Gentoo Linux Genkernel Guide isn't maintained
5 > anymore. Is there anything I can do to help?
6 >
7 > Disclaimer : This document is not valid and is not maintained
8 > anymore.
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
10
11 Sure. You can submit patches to the guide via our bug tracker at
12 http://bugs.gentoo.org and we'll fix up the guide.
13
14 The genkernel guide was (as far as I know) maintained mostly by the
15 previous primary genkernel maintainer before he left Gentoo. As the
16 current maintainer, I've spent more of my time working on the actual
17 code of genkernel than the documentation. As such, the documentation is
18 quite out-of-date and doesn't match current genkernel behavior. Even
19 worse, I'm modifying some of the behavior to make more sense and be
20 easier for the end user. Expect genkernel 3.4.9 to be quite different
21 from 3.4.8, without breaking compatibility. When I get around to
22 genkernel 3.5, things will be even more different, as we're diverging
23 from the older code and making several modifications that we've blocked
24 until now, as they were too disruptive.
25
26 At any rate, I'm willing to help you proof any changes you make and can
27 answer questions for you, but won't be able to actually spend the time
28 to make any actual changes myself.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams