From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] 2007.0 mojo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 06:58:54
There are two other things that I want to change for this release, both
related to kernels.

1) kick out any and all code references to 2.4 kernels, assuming none
are available for that arch -- note that things like vanilla-sources
(which may have been a 2.4 kernel package) are unsupported. 2.6 only as
much as possible.

2) update kernel install directions: no more "cp vmlinuz foo" or any
more "cp arch/whatever bar". let's get this thing modernized. No need
for it; a simple "make && make modules_install && make install" does the
whole thing for you, no manual intervention is required, beyond reading
grub.conf to make sure it's pointed to kernel /vmlinuz. "make install"
is much better than the cp crap.

Thoughts? Also, can I get some help in tracking down people from the
alpha, hppa, sparc, and MIPS arch teams on answering a few questions,
such as do they have a packages CD for this release (or any other
CD/media changes), what version will their included kernel be, any
changes to the CFLAGS currently listed at the top of handbook-$arch.xml,
etc. Maybe someone from releng knows all that? Would be much
appreciated, thanks. Well, in addition to finding out the usual "has
anything changed in the install procedures for your arch in this
release". ;)

I figure we have two weeks, tops, to make this all happen, so let's pull
it together and get rolling. I've already added the networked stuff to
draft/ and have begun working on them. Go get 'em! :)