From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:44:55
On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:58 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Friday 03 December 2004 04:53, Sven Vermeulen wrote: > > Rac pointed me to the following thread: > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=254119 > > > > In short, he advises to use stage3 even if you want to perform a stage1 or > > stage2 so that you won't have issues with things like circular dependencies > > (foo depends on bar which depends on foo) and files on your system that > > aren't registered in Portage' DB. > > For what it's worth, I fully agree with this. After every release, a few bugs > come in about broken bootstraps - especially with regards to the perl USE > flag. Circular dependency handling should be done properly by about the time > of 2005.1 though. > > Possibly more important is the fact that the portage db is stripped for a > stage1 (and stage2?) tarball. This means that there are many files left > behind that are never removed. This also has the ability cause bugs, which > are unfortunately much harder to track down.
Then why don't we quit stripping it? I'm sure whomever's idea it was to strip /var/db/pkg in these tarballs isn't around anymore, anyway. Who's to say we cannot reverse that decision?
> Robert's solution is much better, but thus far I've been doing: > tar jxfvp stage3; chroot; ... ; nano -w /etc/make.conf ; > emerge -e system; emerge -e system; emerge depclean
...or we could fix it, so it would be more like: tar vxjpf stage1; chroot; ... ; nano -w /etc/make.conf; scripts/bootstrap.sh; emerge -e system We could have the bootstrap script force re-installation of packages, even if they were "up to date". We also could add a depclean to the end of the script, to automatically remove the unwanted pieces, rather than forcing the user to do it.
> Changing that first "emerge -e system" into bootstrap.sh would save a lot of > time though. ;)
-- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux