From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Gentoo newbie ebook
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:13:43
Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com> posted
380006.98299.qm@×××××××××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on  Mon, 29
Jan 2007 21:55:30 -0800:

> I would like to explore the possibility of applying a creative commons ( > or similar ) license to the book and then make it available through the > Gentoo website for use by Gentoo newbies and computer newbies in > general. So far, the materials seem to be working well with high school > senior age people and I also have a 13 year old and a 9 year old working > through the book with few problems ( which is surprising :-) > > The Gentoo installation part of the book can be found here: > > http://tkosan.javadevices.org/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/gentoo_linux_install_phase_1_v1.3.1.pdf > > > And here is the beginning part of the book, which contains an > explanation of how a computer works: > > http://tkosan.javadevices.org/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/computer_systems.v1.0.pdf
Wow! I know someone whose kid is just getting into *ix and asked for recommendations. This could be right up their alley as the kid is high school age. Regardless of what Gentoo does with this, I know one person that's getting a link to the class site (the etec150 dir) sent to them. =8^) (FWIW, he already decided to try FreeBSD first, so I don't know if this will interest him or not, but given that it's setup as a distance learning course and its limited previous knowledge target, it well could. FWIW2, I just read thru both pdfs, then looked at the syllabus, quizzes, etc, and not only am impressed, but learned a bit I had forgotten or somehow skipped, going over the general computer basics in the first part myself. =8^) I'm impressed to see this use of Linux in the educational system happening in the US, not just everywhere else, as it sometimes seems from the news. When you are done developing the coursework, I'd love to see pieces on it in LWN and/or sites such as Linuxwatch and linux.com/newsforge. I've got the site bookmarked and may be mailing you offlist, as well. -- Duncan - No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list