From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:24:58
Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:27:26 +0100 > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote: > >>I'd like to have the stages/ directory only contain stage3 files and >>have the stage1/2's in experimental or similar.
I suppose those stages will still be released. I'd like to have them available for the *very rare* occasions they are actually needed. Anyway, there's no point discussing that here as we're not reaching the right audience.
> If most of us are to be advised to use only stage 3 for installation,
Everyone is already advised to use stage3
> that will remove one of the main advantages of Gentoo, namely having > everything compiled on the machine it's running on.
That choice is not removed at all. FWIW, it's not the main advantage of Gentoo, flexibility is IMHO. It has already been said many times and it has already been translated into several languages, so for the umpteenth time, it is *faster* and less error prone to use a stage3, edit your CFLAGS/USE flags and recompile everything. Regards, -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / French & Internationalisation Lead \ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en /\ -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list