From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:24:58
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:27:26 +0100
3 > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>I'd like to have the stages/ directory only contain stage3 files and
6 >>have the stage1/2's in experimental or similar.
7
8 I suppose those stages will still be released. I'd like to have them available
9 for the *very rare* occasions they are actually needed.
10 Anyway, there's no point discussing that here as we're not reaching the right
11 audience.
12
13 > If most of us are to be advised to use only stage 3 for installation,
14
15 Everyone is already advised to use stage3
16
17 > that will remove one of the main advantages of Gentoo, namely having
18 > everything compiled on the machine it's running on.
19
20 That choice is not removed at all.
21 FWIW, it's not the main advantage of Gentoo, flexibility is IMHO.
22
23 It has already been said many times and it has already been translated into
24 several languages, so for the umpteenth time, it is *faster* and less error
25 prone to use a stage3, edit your CFLAGS/USE flags and recompile everything.
28 Regards,
29 --
30 / Xavier Neys
31 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project