From: "Matthew Summers; CEO
To: Brett Meadors <MEADORS@××××××××××××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Helping Out
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 17:08:48
1 Brett,
2 This sounds doable. So,have you already extracted the man pages? Can you send me a tarball
3 containing what you have, I would like to help out with this. I can be found on IRC as well using
4 the nick "quantumsummers", usually in gentoo-hardened, gentoo-userrel all the time. Lets try to get
5 something moving on this as soon as you have the time. I can move the interns around fairly easily,
6 so we can be flexible. Look forward to it!
7
8 Cheers,
9 Matt
12 Brett Meadors wrote:
13 > Hey Matt, I would be glad to help out in some regard or another, possibly with updating documentation. In concerns with portage, they've been wanting me to help get the documents converted from man pages to Doc-book, so if you have any interest with that, I'd be more than glad to coordinate with you on it.
14 >
15 > Brett Meadors
16 > Student Assistant I
17 > HEHD Technical Support
18 > (864)940-7711
21 > -----Original Message-----
22 > From: Matthew Summers; CEO, Liquidus Tech, LLC [mailto:matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com]
23 > Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 12:38 PM
24 > To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
25 > Cc: Brett Meadors
26 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Helping Out
27 >
28 > Josh Saddler wrote:
29 >> Brett Meadors wrote:
30 >>> I have been reading up and begun helping out with the portage project
31 >>> with their documentation, and I would really like to get involved with
32 >>> the Documentation team as both a active contributor and editor. Please
33 >>> let me know what I can do to help, what projects need some attention,
34 >>> and how I can be of help.
35 >> Speaking of Portage . . . one of the things with Portage 2.2, which is
36 >> now in ~arch, is that our Portage Handbook and related documentation in
37 >> gentoo.org/doc/en/ will need to be updated. 2.2, once stable, will give
38 >> everyone capabilities like user-defined sets, new behavior of the world
39 >> and system sets, FEATURES like preserve-rebuild (or whatever they ended
40 >> up calling it), and more.
41 >>
42 >> Though I've heard via third parties that some of the Portage developers
43 >> plan to help out with updating this documentation, we haven't heard from
44 >> them yet. So, if you want to, head on over to the GDP page, at
45 >> http://gdp.gentoo.org. We have resources there on how to write GuideXML.
46 >> Armed with this knowledge, you'd be ready to tackle the updates needed
47 >> for the Portage handbook, which starts here:
48 >>
49 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2
50 >>
51 >> Lots and lots of stuff to jump into. Or, if you'd rather take a break
52 >> from Portage docs, just jump into bugzilla (http://bugs.gentoo.org) and
53 >> search for open Documentation and Docs-user bugs that are assigned
54 >> to/CCed to docs-team@g.o. Just poke at whatever you want to do;
55 >> any and all help is welcome. Happy hunting.
56 >>
57 > Josh,
58 >
59 > I was told to talk to you about gentoo related graphics. I have a hardened badge I made for our main site, that might be cool to include on
60 > the graphics page, since there are no hardened badges that I have seen. Here's a direct link.
61 > http://www.liquidustech.com/media_files/images/powered_by_hardened_gentoo_badge.png
62 >
63 > Still could use some more work, but its a good start.
66 > Brett,
67 >
68 > My company has two grad students technical writing interns working on Gentoo docs this summer. I know they would love some additional
69 > assistance. Currently we are working on SAN Multipath doc with Joshua Jackson (tsunam), some hardened gentoo docs, bluetooth doc updates,
70 > autotools doc creation, and himerge (portage gui) docs. If any of these sound interesting, please contact me. There is aways room for more
71 > too. I would personally like to be a part of updating the portage docs.
72 >
73 > Best Regards,
74 >
75 > Matthew Summers
78 Matthew W. Summers
79
80 Chief Executive Officer & Systems Engineer
81 Liquidus Tech, LLC
82 218 1/2 Park Central West
83 Springfield, MO 65806
84 (417) 894-2607