From: Shyam Mani <fox2mike@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 04:29:04
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2
3 > The Gentoo Release Engineering team is pushing us to remove stage1 and
4 > stage2 references from the Gentoo Handbook. They are getting too many errors
5 > because the user is not able to fully comprehend the implications of a
6 > stage1 or stage2 installation.
7
8 Huh? What?
9
10 In which case, how would someone new to Gentoo do a Stage 1/2 install?
11 Actually, I don't understand the request at all, since it makes no sense
12 (atleast from this email :p).
13
14 I installed Gentoo from Stage 1, following the handbook. I had *no*
15 issues. I'm sorry, but removing portions of the handbook just because
16 there are users who won't read (I know, I had a friend who goofed up 4
17 Gentoo installs because he was lazy to read the handbook) is *not* a
18 reason to remove perfectly correct and easy to understand documentation.
19
20 > This does surprise me, either because it seems rather simple to me, or
21 > because I don't understand it myself (in which case we need(ed) better
22 > information regarding the subject).
23
24 As it surprises me. In case this does happen, What do they(we) plan to
25 do for newbies wanting to do a Stage 1/2 install?
26
27 BTW, it so happened that I met Andrew Cowie (Operational Dynamics,
28 Sydney) the other day here and we were discussing Gentoo. He felt that a
29 strong point that Gentoo has and others don't is that you get to
30 actually see the things as they happen. You actually see bootstrapping.
31 And that is a valid point. Removing references from the handbook takes
32 the oppurtunity away of learning all that the first time you install
33 Gentoo.
34
35 Anyone from releng here who can clarify why they need this done? TIA
36
37 Regards,
40 Shyam Mani | <fox2mike@g.o>
41 docs-team | http://gdp.gentoo.org