From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:17:42
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
>> > ... to inform the contributor about the time-consuming position and pressure the application involves. >> >> Come on. What is this? I don't think I remember getting paid as a >> Gentoo developer. This nonsense about time commitments and pressure is >> pretentious. >> >> It seems to me that the steps for joining the Docs team for a current >> developer should be much more clearly stated. > > Any suggestion here? It isn't difficult to update the policy to be more > real-life like (my own immediate suggestion would be to drop the "numbered" > commit / bug requirement and instead use a regular mentoring role, and > putting the responsibility of acknowledging in the mentor's lap) but we > might even go beyond just "updating" the policy.
The information on this page is very irrelevant and confusing to me, as a developer. I don't know how many non-developer documenters we have. I don't know what needs to happen to that text itself, but a section about how current developers join the documentation team is important. Looking at the page, a person must complete the staff and doc quizzes. For a developer, it seems that the requirements should simply be 1) to have become a developer and 2) completed the doc quiz. Thanks, Matt