From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: cvs commit: quick-samba-howto.xml
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:34
1 Shyam Mani wrote:
2 > Curtis Napier wrote:
5 >>Yes indeed, ciaran is correct. You go by the "sound" not by the
6 >>spelling. That's why we say "an honor" instead of "a honor" (the h is
7 >>silent). But in the case of FAQ he is incorrect because it's pronounced
8 >>fa-ack not ef-ack. Silly en_GB speakers. :-)
11 > Ummm, we pronounce it af eff a que. Not Fak. It is an acronym and eff a
12 > que is how you say it :) So, he's right and it is an FAQ.
15 >>http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#36
18 > And from the above site...
19 >
20 > According to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style, "The
21 > indefinite article a is used before words beginning with a consonant
22 > sound, including /y/ and /w/ sounds. The other form, an, is used before
23 > words beginning with a vowel sound. Hence, a European country, a Ouija
24 > board, a uniform, an FBI agent...
25 >
26 > We say Eff Bee Eye agent, not Fubby agent or EffBee or EffBye, right? So
27 > it's Eff A Que :) not fack or you know where I'm going :p
30 No, when you use the first letters of a series of words that is going to
31 be pronounced as a series of letters like F.B.I then that is an
32 abbreviation or an initialism. An acronym is the first letters of a
33 series of words put together to form a new word. FAQ is an acronym not
34 an abbreviation so it is pronounced as a word not as the letters F.A.Q..
35 If it was supposed to be pronounced as a series of letters it would be
36 written F.A.Q. but it isn't.
37
38 http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9354382?query=acronym&ct=
39 http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=acronym&x=0&y=0
40 http://www.answers.com/topic/acronym
41 http://www.thefreedictionary.com/acronym
42 http://www.answers.com/acronym&r=67
43
44 This is silly. Just leave it up to the person who writes the doc. What
45 difference does it make to any of us? Rane already changed it and
46 changing it back would be redundant.
47 --
48 gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list