From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: cvs commit: quick-samba-howto.xml
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:34
Shyam Mani wrote:
> Curtis Napier wrote: > > >>Yes indeed, ciaran is correct. You go by the "sound" not by the >>spelling. That's why we say "an honor" instead of "a honor" (the h is >>silent). But in the case of FAQ he is incorrect because it's pronounced >>fa-ack not ef-ack. Silly en_GB speakers. :-) > > > Ummm, we pronounce it af eff a que. Not Fak. It is an acronym and eff a > que is how you say it :) So, he's right and it is an FAQ. > > >>http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#36 > > > And from the above site... > > According to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style, "The > indefinite article a is used before words beginning with a consonant > sound, including /y/ and /w/ sounds. The other form, an, is used before > words beginning with a vowel sound. Hence, a European country, a Ouija > board, a uniform, an FBI agent... > > We say Eff Bee Eye agent, not Fubby agent or EffBee or EffBye, right? So > it's Eff A Que :) not fack or you know where I'm going :p >
No, when you use the first letters of a series of words that is going to be pronounced as a series of letters like F.B.I then that is an abbreviation or an initialism. An acronym is the first letters of a series of words put together to form a new word. FAQ is an acronym not an abbreviation so it is pronounced as a word not as the letters F.A.Q.. If it was supposed to be pronounced as a series of letters it would be written F.A.Q. but it isn't. http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9354382?query=acronym&ct= http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=acronym&x=0&y=0 http://www.answers.com/topic/acronym http://www.thefreedictionary.com/acronym http://www.answers.com/acronym&r=67 This is silly. Just leave it up to the person who writes the doc. What difference does it make to any of us? Rane already changed it and changing it back would be redundant. -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list