From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] A new lead
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 09:12:54
On 11/01/10 22:35, Camille Huot wrote:
> I don't see exactly how moving to git would lower the barrier? > > I personally don't know git.
Valid point. The thing is that with a decentralized version control system you can create local commits and branches on the very same "checkout" that you from a server you do _not_ have write access to. You can take these commits and push them to another machine (called "remote" in git). So that difference especially counts for people who do not have write/push access, i.e. people just starting to contribute. Makes sense? Best, Sebastian PS: I volunteer to teach the fundamentals of Git to any Gentoo dev interested. Shouldn't take more than an hour. Skype, phone, IRC or Jabber.