From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:32:22
1 Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
2 > @Dale - I think that XORG (xserver) ebuild should check SYSVIPC is
3 > enabled and push some warnings on the screen like:
4 >
5 > ---
6 > * Warning: SYSVIPC in your kernel configuration is not enabled. Some
7 > drivers like nVidia properitary drivers
8 > * depend on it and will not function properly when SYSVIPC disabled.
9 > Please enable SYSVIPC to build and load
10 > * that drivers.
11 > ---
12 >
13 > or better push an error when building. As drivers still evaluate we
14 > don't know what developer of some company will include Inter Process
15 > Communication in projects and final builds of drivers.
16 >
17 > Is there way to patch any kernel (like gentoo-sources) emerged with
18 > Gentoo to enable this flag by default and set this as constant that
19 > cannot be changed by user?
20 >
21 > Mat.
24 That sounds like a good idea too.
25
26 I don't want this to fall between the cracks. Has someone decided what
27 should be done and taken steps to make sure it is done? I didn't file a
28 bug report because I don't know what all else this will affect. I read
29 it affects more than just video drivers. According to someone else,
30 there are some packages that benefit/need this as well.
31
32 I just don't want someone else to go through what I did. I even bought
33 a new monitor because I thought it was messed up or something.
34
35 Thanks.
36
37 Dale