From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:17:31
1 On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:29 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > Why are you spreading such blatant misinformation?
5 >
6 > Look at it from the new installer's point of view. He reads that stage 1
7 > allows him to customise his Gentoo system (whether the one he's installing
8 > or the one he's installing with isn't made clear), and that stage 3 will
9 > make him put up with optimisations chosen by the distribution team. Now, I
10 > ask you, how is he to know that (for present purposes) it matters not one
11 > jot in the long run which stage he chooses, because recompilation of the
12 > entire system is recommended after installation? He's quite likely to finish
13 > the installation and then just go on to use it, oblivious of other
14 > possibilities.
15
16 You didn't answer my question.
17
18 I think you also missed the entire point of this thread is that we are
19 *changing* the Handbook to match the current state of affairs. The
20 truth is that the Handbook has been incorrect since 2005.0 was released.
21
22 > > Exactly what is gained by compiling the toolchain twice on your system?
23 > > What do you gain that cannot be accomplished by using a stage3 tarball,
24 > > editing make.conf and running an emerge -e system?
25 >
26 > I suggest you read the long thread on emwrap that I pointed you to last
27 > time. Then tell me it's all rubbish and that your method is best.
28
29 I really don't have the time to read the entire discussion, but from
30 what I did read, it looks like a load of bull. My method is all that is
31 required.
32
33 Aside from that, I don't know what point you're trying to make.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
38 x86 Architecture Team
39 Games - Developer