From: Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Gentoo newbie ebook
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:02:35
Duncan wrote:

> Wow! I know someone whose kid is just getting into *ix and asked for > recommendations. This could be right up their alley as the kid is high > school age. Regardless of what Gentoo does with this, I know one person > that's getting a link to the class site (the etec150 dir) sent to them. > =8^)
This is the kind of person I am trying to reach, every 13-20 year old in the world that has an interest in computers but has no good way to start learning about them. I have tried teaching beginners on some of the other distros ( including Redhat, Ubuntu and Linux From Scratch ) but they did not have the balance between difficulty and simplicity that is needed by a beginner. Another interesting thing here is that I think a significant number of Gentoo users and developers know a kid or two who would like to learn the fundamentals of computers and Linux :-) Instead of just making the ebook available on the Gentoo site, my thought is that a free online class based upon the book could periodically be offered by the Gentoo foundation to anyone who is interested. I have had some experience teaching free online software classes over the Internet to hundreds of students at a time and this works quite well if done correctly.
> I'm impressed to see this use of Linux in the educational system happening > in the US, not just everywhere else, as it sometimes seems from the news. > When you are done developing the coursework, I'd love to see pieces on it > in LWN and/or sites such as Linuxwatch and linux.com/newsforge. I've got > the site bookmarked and may be mailing you offlist, as well.
My first choice would be to have pieces issued to the Linux news sites that indicate that Gentoo is offering a free course to newbies based on these materials. If Gentoo ends up not taking this route, I will probably pursue the idea on my own, but I really think that Gentoo would not have much to lose by at least trying this idea as an experiment :-) Thanks, Ted tkosan@×××××.com -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list