From: "Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:45:29
1 On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:13:00PM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 04:49:53PM +0200, Camille Huot wrote:
3 > > Hey, sorry for my late feedback,
4 >
5 > No problem.
6 >
7 > > """
8 > > The Gentoo Documentation Project Team consists of editors and authors,
9 > > working on our main documentation and its translations. Like most other
10 > > Gentoo projects, it is lead by a project lead whose additional job is to
11 > > look after the team and its resources in general (such as focusing on
12 > > recruitment when necessary and acting as an unbiased mediator when two or
13 > > more developers have a dispute over something).
14 > > """
15 > >
16 > > I don't like the end "acting as an unbiased mediator when two or more
17 > > developers have a dispute over something", we're not childs that need to be
18 > > calm down :) -- Here's my suggested drop-in: "taking final decisions when
19 > > consensus cannot be found otherwise."
20 >
21 > Actually, I was merely trying to replicate what the devrel stuff sais on
22 > this ;-) It isn't about a dispute on documentation aspects. If that were the
23 > case, I'd suggest a "consensus model" on the mailinglist and indeed project
24 > lead having a final say if consensus cannot be found.
25 >
26 > But when developers are more in dispute on non-documentation related
27 > aspects, the devrel guide/policy currently positions the project lead as a
28 > first mediator.
29 >
30 > Of course, we could just drop that part (since it already is in the policy)
31 > or rewrite it according to your suggestion (but then make it clear it is
32 > about project-related activities).
33 >
34 > Wkr,
35 > Sven Vermeulen
38 Well, adults are surprisingly good at acting like children. Mediator is a good
39 description for the task. Sometimes a tie-breaker vote is all that two
40 civilized and well-behaved adults need to resolve an "issue", but sometimes
41 there are real issues, perceived or otherwise, that need someone to really
42 mediate.
43
44 But, yeah, that responsibility is already defined by the Gentoo Policy.
47 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
48 Pseudonym: TitanOfOld
49 Gentoo Developer