From: "Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:45:29
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:13:00PM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 04:49:53PM +0200, Camille Huot wrote: > > Hey, sorry for my late feedback, > > No problem. > > > """ > > The Gentoo Documentation Project Team consists of editors and authors, > > working on our main documentation and its translations. Like most other > > Gentoo projects, it is lead by a project lead whose additional job is to > > look after the team and its resources in general (such as focusing on > > recruitment when necessary and acting as an unbiased mediator when two or > > more developers have a dispute over something). > > """ > > > > I don't like the end "acting as an unbiased mediator when two or more > > developers have a dispute over something", we're not childs that need to be > > calm down :) -- Here's my suggested drop-in: "taking final decisions when > > consensus cannot be found otherwise." > > Actually, I was merely trying to replicate what the devrel stuff sais on > this ;-) It isn't about a dispute on documentation aspects. If that were the > case, I'd suggest a "consensus model" on the mailinglist and indeed project > lead having a final say if consensus cannot be found. > > But when developers are more in dispute on non-documentation related > aspects, the devrel guide/policy currently positions the project lead as a > first mediator. > > Of course, we could just drop that part (since it already is in the policy) > or rewrite it according to your suggestion (but then make it clear it is > about project-related activities). > > Wkr, > Sven Vermeulen >
Well, adults are surprisingly good at acting like children. Mediator is a good description for the task. Sometimes a tie-breaker vote is all that two civilized and well-behaved adults need to resolve an "issue", but sometimes there are real issues, perceived or otherwise, that need someone to really mediate. But, yeah, that responsibility is already defined by the Gentoo Policy. -- Mr. Aaron W. Swenson Pseudonym: TitanOfOld Gentoo Developer