From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:56:47
1 On Friday 03 December 2004 04:53, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Rac pointed me to the following thread:
3 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=254119
4 >
5 > In short, he advises to use stage3 even if you want to perform a stage1 or
6 > stage2 so that you won't have issues with things like circular dependencies
7 > (foo depends on bar which depends on foo) and files on your system that
8 > aren't registered in Portage' DB.
9
10 For what it's worth, I fully agree with this. After every release, a few bugs
11 come in about broken bootstraps - especially with regards to the perl USE
12 flag. Circular dependency handling should be done properly by about the time
13 of 2005.1 though.
14
15 Possibly more important is the fact that the portage db is stripped for a
16 stage1 (and stage2?) tarball. This means that there are many files left
17 behind that are never removed. This also has the ability cause bugs, which
18 are unfortunately much harder to track down.
19
20 Robert's solution is much better, but thus far I've been doing:
21 tar jxfvp stage3; chroot; ... ; nano -w /etc/make.conf ;
22 emerge -e system; emerge -e system; emerge depclean
23
24 Changing that first "emerge -e system" into bootstrap.sh would save a lot of
25 time though. ;)
26
27 Regards,
28 Jason Stubbs