From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: handbook-ia64.xml ...
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:21:51
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 04 September 2006 07:02, Xavier Neys wrote: >> If you need help to get rid of the 4 ARCH-specific files, you know where to >> ask. Any bitching about the hb*x86+amd64*xml file names will be ignored :) > > so you're trying to merge all the arches into one ? seems like a good idea > for some (the cd based arches have a lot in common) but pointless for others > (the bootloader pages have very little in common with any other arch)
I am not most certainly not trying to merge them all back into the mess we had before the ARCH-split. Only the very similar ones can be merged. x86 and AMD64 were almost identical, and you so is IA64, same tools, terminology (e.g. partitions, not slices), partitioning plans, structure... *bootloader*, very different on all other arches, not mergeable *kernel*, might be worth a look, main differences are genkernel (yes|no), kernel names & location of compiled one. The list of required kernel options might lead to a lengthy series of code samples, though. *disk*, partitions vs. slices, partitioning plans are all different, common bits in those files are low-maintenance, not mergeable. *medium*, looks like some could be merged. Cheers, -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / /\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/