From: Thomas M <bluerain41@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Corrections
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 02:06:21
On 11/26/2011 05:00 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Thomas posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 06:30:57 -0800 as excerpted: > >> I found a typo in the Documentation. This is for amd64 and x86. >> >> The error is in the code, "mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" >> >> The above command, if assumed that the user enters them exactly that >> way, >> would give them an error. It was correctly written as "mount -o bind >> /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" previously. > Thanks for the report. > > Please file this as a bug, as that's easier to track thru to a fix than a > mailing list post that's all too easily read and forgotten about. > Remember, gentoo's a community distro run by volunteers. Sometimes, > "life happens". Regardless of whether that's a new baby or a new job or > a death in the family, or just more work than time, sometimes it's hard > to deal with a bug immediately, and having it filed as a bug instead of > only posted to a mailing list, helps keep the report from getting lost > and thus never fixed. > > https://bugs.gentoo.org > > But to make that bug easier to follow and fix when you do file it... > > Please include a link to the page (there's a URL field in the bug, and > you can put the other one in a comment), and list the exact paragraph or > code number if possible. > > The mount(8) manpage lists the --rbind olddir newdir option, so it should > be supported in general, which is why I went to check the context in > which it was used... and found no information about where I should look! > Perhaps it was a typo or something, or maybe the instruction is indeed > wrong in context, but it's pretty difficult to check if I don't know > where to look. =:^\ > > Anyway, thanks for the report. Please do file a bug with a link, etc. > > (PS: Posting in HTML isn't really ideal. When you do post to mailing > lists, turning off HTML and using just plain text is appreciated as not > everyone uses an HTML capable mail reader and raw HTML coding is ugly and > hard to read. Thanks.) >
Thank you very much. Before filing a bug report, I wanted to make sure what I saw was correct. The webpage is listed here [1]. After checking the mount (8) man page, I have seen the similar observation as you. I would have thought that the command would have given the output of completion but it returned this command was not found. I fortunately reinstalled Gentoo Linux in my Desktop and ran into this few weeks ago. I just wanted to make sure it's not only on my end as I didn't see any reports of it in the bug tracker. Oh, and your PS, I'm sorry. I was using the Gmail's native browser mail. :) <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6>