From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:31:45
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 20:53 +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> Hi all > > Rac pointed me to the following thread: > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=254119 > > In short, he advises to use stage3 even if you want to perform a stage1 or > stage2 so that you won't have issues with things like circular dependencies > (foo depends on bar which depends on foo) and files on your system that > aren't registered in Portage' DB. > > If this is indeed the case, we might want to update our installation > instructions with this (rewrite completely or add it to the stage > explanations). I don't know how much of this is backed up, but I recon rac's > not that wrong ;)
The only problem that I see with this is that he has come up with no real viable solution other than offering a stage3 tarball. That is fine and dandy, but Release Engineering is working on the future removal of all tarballs *except* for stage1. The other stageballs would be created on-the-fly. Now, this won't be the case for 2005.0 or even 2005.1, but I suspect by 2006.0 we will not be offering any stages other thana stage1. What this means is if we have something wrong with a stage1 tarball that: #1. rac should talk to releng rather than posting contrary information #2. we should work to resolve any problems with the stage1 tarball #3. we should create new documentation for any changes in procedure needed after changes are made to the stage1 tarball
> Strange though that this hasn't been communicated to GDP beforehand (or is > my mind playing tricks on me again).
It really should be communicated and worked out with releng. I know that in the past, there have been some "unmovable forces" in control over our release process, but now you've got me around running the show, and I'm pretty much open to anything that improves Gentoo. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux