From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:31:45
1 On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 20:53 +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Hi all
3 >
4 > Rac pointed me to the following thread:
5 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=254119
6 >
7 > In short, he advises to use stage3 even if you want to perform a stage1 or
8 > stage2 so that you won't have issues with things like circular dependencies
9 > (foo depends on bar which depends on foo) and files on your system that
10 > aren't registered in Portage' DB.
11 >
12 > If this is indeed the case, we might want to update our installation
13 > instructions with this (rewrite completely or add it to the stage
14 > explanations). I don't know how much of this is backed up, but I recon rac's
15 > not that wrong ;)
16
17 The only problem that I see with this is that he has come up with no
18 real viable solution other than offering a stage3 tarball. That is fine
19 and dandy, but Release Engineering is working on the future removal of
20 all tarballs *except* for stage1. The other stageballs would be created
21 on-the-fly. Now, this won't be the case for 2005.0 or even 2005.1, but
22 I suspect by 2006.0 we will not be offering any stages other thana
23 stage1.
24
25 What this means is if we have something wrong with a stage1 tarball
26 that:
27
28 #1. rac should talk to releng rather than posting contrary information
29 #2. we should work to resolve any problems with the stage1 tarball
30 #3. we should create new documentation for any changes in procedure
31 needed after changes are made to the stage1 tarball
34 > Strange though that this hasn't been communicated to GDP beforehand (or is
35 > my mind playing tricks on me again).
36
37 It really should be communicated and worked out with releng. I know
38 that in the past, there have been some "unmovable forces" in control
39 over our release process, but now you've got me around running the show,
40 and I'm pretty much open to anything that improves Gentoo.
43 Chris Gianelloni
44 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
45 Games - Developer
46 Gentoo Linux