From: justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:40:58
1 On 15/12/10 09:26, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I ran into a problem yesterday and now that it is fixed, I wanted to
5 > mention it here to see if you think the docs need to mention this. This
6 > is a brief version. I built a new system that has a Nvidia card and a
7 > LG monitor. I could not get the GUI to work and the nvidia drivers to
8 > load properly. This is the relevant error:
9 >
10 > (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
11 > found)
12 >
13 > The problem turned out to be that CONFIG_SYSVIPC was missing in the
14 > kernel. This is not just used by nvidia but it appears that at least in
15 > some cases nvidia needs that in the kernel. This is not mentioned on
16 > the nvidia driver docs page. I think it should be mentioned but it may
17 > also be needed somewhere else and someone may want to test if ATI needs
18 > the same option.
19 >
20 > I'll leave it up to the experts to decide where this should be. If it
21 > turns out that ATI needs this too, maybe it should be in the xorg
22 > configure section to cover both Nvidia and ATI.
23 >
24 > Let me know if you need more info.
25 >
26 > Thanks
27 >
28 > Dale
29 >
33 Hi dale,
34
35 if it isn't properly checked during emerge, you should file a bug for
36 that. There is a eclass which can check during build whether needed
37 flags are enabled or not.
38
39 Cheers justin