From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Corrections
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:01:53
1 Thomas posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 06:30:57 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > I found a typo in the Documentation. This is for amd64 and x86.
4 >
5 > The error is in the code, "mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev"
6 >
7 > The above command, if assumed that the user enters them exactly that
8 > way,
9 > would give them an error. It was correctly written as "mount -o bind
10 > /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" previously.
11
12 Thanks for the report.
13
14 Please file this as a bug, as that's easier to track thru to a fix than a
15 mailing list post that's all too easily read and forgotten about.
16 Remember, gentoo's a community distro run by volunteers. Sometimes,
17 "life happens". Regardless of whether that's a new baby or a new job or
18 a death in the family, or just more work than time, sometimes it's hard
19 to deal with a bug immediately, and having it filed as a bug instead of
20 only posted to a mailing list, helps keep the report from getting lost
21 and thus never fixed.
22
23 https://bugs.gentoo.org
24
25 But to make that bug easier to follow and fix when you do file it...
26
27 Please include a link to the page (there's a URL field in the bug, and
28 you can put the other one in a comment), and list the exact paragraph or
29 code number if possible.
30
31 The mount(8) manpage lists the --rbind olddir newdir option, so it should
32 be supported in general, which is why I went to check the context in
33 which it was used... and found no information about where I should look!
34 Perhaps it was a typo or something, or maybe the instruction is indeed
35 wrong in context, but it's pretty difficult to check if I don't know
36 where to look. =:^\
37
38 Anyway, thanks for the report. Please do file a bug with a link, etc.
39
40 (PS: Posting in HTML isn't really ideal. When you do post to mailing
41 lists, turning off HTML and using just plain text is appreciated as not
42 everyone uses an HTML capable mail reader and raw HTML coding is ugly and
43 hard to read. Thanks.)
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman