From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [patch] integrate ia64 bootloader into common
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:56:51
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 22:25 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> this patch integrates the ia64 bootloader document into the common one
4 >>
5 >> perhaps it would make sense to re-architect the bootloader document like:
6 >> hb-install-bootloader.xml
7 >> hb-install-bootloader-grub.xml
8 >> hb-install-bootloader-elilo.xml
9 >> hb-install-bootloader-lilo.xml
10 >> ...
11 >> otherwise trying to integrate other bootloader documents isnt going to be
12 >> fun ...
13
14 It makes less sense to split out/recombine the bootloader documents
15 based on bootloader choice, because then we'll have even more
16 unnecessary duplication of content. Right now, only amd64+x86 have a
17 combined bootloader page, because they're similar enough that we can do
18 conditionals for them. We don't have a single hb-install-bootloader doc,
19 just FYI, because each arch is different enough to require a unique
20 page, and I'm fine with that.
21
22 You're right, it wouldn't be fun to integrate other bootloader
23 documents; they're just too different already, so that's why we aren't
24 integrating them to this extent.
25
26 We'd copy 99% of the same text and only change the <pre>s for lilo or
27 grub if we split 'em based on bootloader choice, and that's just plain
28 silly. Makes maintainance harder, not easier....
29
30 > I agree, especially once/if elilo becomes a supported bootloader on
31 > x86/amd64, due to Intel Mac machines.
32
33 ...Especially since only one or two arches (at most) *might* (as Chris
34 mentions) gain support for EFI. In other words, *if* that day comes, the
35 only place elilo would go is in the existing amd64+x86 combo page.
36
37 So, er, thanks, but no thanks? Is there a way to say that without
38 sounding rude? I appreciate the work, but there isn't a place for it at
39 the moment. :)