From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Wiki for official docs only
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:48:16
AllenJB wrote:

> The basic idea is to replace the current documentation with something > that's much easier to edit. >
> On top of that the Handbooks in particular are (at a glance) a maze of > multiple files pieced together into the finished product (I haven't got > round to checking whether this maze is mapped out anywhere yet - I had > multiple things on my todo list at the time and decided to just move on > to the next item).
Easy, refresh your anoncvs, create a debug.xml file in your document root that contains <debug on="1"/> and voilà, you see the file names.
> On the other hand, I (and I suspect a large number of other people in > general) use wiki's quite a lot, am familiar with the syntax and find > them a breeze to edit. In my opinion, it is likely the the official > documentation would receive more, faster contributions if they were on a > wiki instead of built using GuideXML.
In other words, you want the current docs team to learn a new syntax and a new tool, and infra to install a new system because you can't learn a dozen simple tags, you know like <p> for a paragraph... Wkr, -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / /\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/