From: Nathan Zachary <kalos@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbooks / Autobuilds: What needs to be done?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:29:36
1 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > Josh Saddler wrote:
3 >
4 >> AllenJB wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Is there a breakdown of tasks for updating the handbooks for autobuilds?
7 >>>
8 >> This is something that I've brought up on this list all the way back at
9 >> the beginning of March[1].
10 >>
11 >> As of right now, no one's bothered to reply on the list, nor respond
12 >> when I jump on to our IRC channel.
13 >>
14 >> But as I'm the only one doing any work these days, I have no idea when
15 >> the rest might be completed. As far as I know I'm the only one to even
16 >> start to consider all the things that need to be changed.
17 >>
18 >> [several points...] That's it for now, I guess.
21 > To me this sounds like an issue that needs to be brought to the
22 > attention of the council. Having good documentation has always been one
23 > of the strengths of Gentoo. It would be sad to see that wither away
24 > because of lack of manpower or lack of interest. Maybe we need to do
25 > some targeted recruiting for the documentation team.
26 >
27 > Cheers,
28 >
29 I have contributed a document to the documentation team. While it is
30 unrelated to the autobuilds and the handbook, it shows interest in the
31 team. I know that Josh has been doing an immense amount of work for the
32 doc team, which is evidenced by his name showing up as "editor" on tons
33 of the existing documents. As Ben said, documentation is one of the
34 strongest points of Gentoo, so we cannot let it go by the wayside. I'm
35 willing to learn the ins and outs of editing existing documents, and the
36 other aspects of the doc team.
37
38 Two people actively working on documents is not enough either, but it
39 will hopefully offset some of the labour. I don't think that the team
40 would have any trouble finding volunteers to help out with editing, and
41 that an announcement should be made on the forum.
42
43 --Zach