From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Supporting CC-BY-SA 3.0 and later versions
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:06:55
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:11:28PM -0500, Mr. Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
> I'm for it, but what's keeping the docs team from just bumping the license > version? > > According to the Gentoo Linux Documentation Project's (GLDP) policy [1], I > do not have a say in the matter regarding which license the document I > wrote is published under. This tells me that it's at the will of the GLDP > whether or not to republish the document under a new license, essentially > being just pointing `<license />' to the new text. > > Which is all fine by me because the document I did write was done under > the auspices of Gentoo. Meaning I assumed that once GLDP accepted my > contribution, it then owns the documentation I contributed.
I don't think that's true. As far as I know (I knew European and Belgian law some time ago, but not using that knowledge clouds it a bit ;-) copyright has not been transferred as long as this isn't done through a contract of any kind. There were talks of asking developers to sign such a document, but afaik this has never been implemented completely (although I know of a few ebuild developers that did). What we do is publish documents as allowed under its license, which is CC-BY-SA 2.5. We are not allowed to change the license, unless the authors of the document agree. We *could* ask for all contributors to inform us if they allow their documents to be licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 but that would be a nightmare to manage I think. Supporting <license version="3.0" /> seems like a simple solution to this. Wkr, Sven Vermeulen