From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/gdp/doc: doc-tipsntricks.xml
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:06:53
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:36:39 +0100
Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:

> Hi Josh, I've got a few questions for this one. First of all, I > believe it should read "not <c>2</c>" instead of 1.12.
Right, I'll fix this.
> Also, what's > the reason for metadoc.xml being special? I assume it's because you > can't be sure that none of our XSLT stuff breaks, which is a fair > concern.
I mentioned a reason for this in my email to the list on the new format. At this point, I'm more concerned with having a visual reference to the extensive history of commits to metadoc.xml. Also, as you said, any changes to metadoc run the risk of doing lots more damage than a change made to a regular guide.
> I'll try to walk through them to see if I see an obvious error, but > it's gonna take some time. If someone else likes XSLT, please step > up and go ahead with checking, I'm simply offering my services here > because I've done some XSLT stuff based on gorg for my pet project > a few years ago, and I have feeling that nobody else has ever > touched XSLT since Xavier disappeared.
I've done a little bit of stuff in our XSL over the years, but only small changes. Nothing major. We definitely need someone who's completely comfortable working with all aspects of our XSLT. Alec (antarus) has been playing about with a copy of our repo for some design work; he might be able to contribute a patch or two as issues come up, if we ask really nicely.