From: Flammie Pirinen <flammie@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 01:14:03
1 2005-09-08, Jan Kundrát sanoi, jotta:
2
3 > a) Third party article
4 > b) Older Handbook
5
6 I really think that these could be done with static note inserted in
7 the code, because whatever program logic you could be thinking for
8 them it will always be multiple order more complex than needed. If you
9 want something easily automagically translatable you could introduce
10 something like <thirdparty/> and <obsolete/> empty (replaced) elements
11 in style of <license/>, no?
12
13 > c) Translation in language which is not officially supported
14
15 I wouldn't do anything with this, unless it intersects with d). I mean,
16 why would we need to tell our users that otherwise up-to-date document
17 should not be trusted to, just because the related translation team is
18 not organized with proper bureaucratic structure.
19
20 > d) Outdated translation
21
22 This is one really required improvement of this proposal, but it
23 relates to bigger part of desperately needed accessibility improvements
24 in whole translation system anyways. One of the biggest problems I get
25 reported for Finnish docs is that finding the corresponding English doc
26 is PITA (not everyone is comfortable with hacking the address line of
27 browser, after all). What would really be needed to solve situation
28 (and has been asked by community a thousand times) is language
29 negotiation of translated documents, and because of how language
30 negotiation algorithm works, it could easily be modified to take
31 outdatedness of translation in to account as qs-value, this way we
32 could serve up-to-date enough version to user in language he
33 understands even if it isn't native language or English.
34
35 Of course on top of that we still do really need full interlanguage
36 linking web for all documents, and not just the for two index pages we
37 have.
38
39 After these basics are in order, we might want to start looking in to
40 peeking original versions of document to see how up to date it is. By
41 the way, why can't this be done same way as in overview.xml? Because
42 AFAICS metadoc.xml in Finnish, for example, has only link to either
43 English or Finnish version, so the xslt must use some logic to fetch
44 english versions here, no? And if the logic is to pull the stuff from
45 English metadoc by matching id, shouldn't we then just resolve this by
46 adding a matching id to the root elements of the documents, which is
47 something that from semantic pov should've been done from beginning on
48 already. Of course this'd add overhead of loading (document()ing?) the
49 metadoc for all pageloads...
52 Flammie, Gentoo Linux Documentation's Finnish head translator.
53 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~flammie>
54 --
55 gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list