From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: About "Xfce Configuration Guide"
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 15:21:04
Zhang Le <r0bertz@g.o> posted
20090608083147.GB16785@×××××××××××××××××××.hk, excerpted below, on  Mon,
08 Jun 2009 16:31:48 +0800:

> If user strictly follow X Server Configuration Howto ( > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml ), he would install the > whole xorg-x11 meta package, which is not necessary.
This one would be an outdated X Server Configuration Howto, then, as Gentoo/X, last I read, does not expect or recommend that people install the meta-package. The context of that post was that the xorg-x11 meta-package includes bits of software (specifically, certain fonts) that upstream considers important, but that is not free software in keeping with Gentoo's Social Contract. Thus, Gentoo cannot properly recommend the meta-package as a "core" package, and Gentoo/X does not do so, recommending instead that people only install xorg-server and additional individual packages and dependencies as they need them. As freedom concerns me I made particular note of this, tho unfortunately I don't have a reference handy, so direct confirmation would likely be necessary. Thus, any Gentoo documentation recommending the xorg-x11 meta-package for other than the specific purpose of installing /everything/ upstream (as opposed to Gentoo) recommends and considers important, is outdated and needs updated. I haven't looked to see if there's already one filed or not, but should I file a bug, probably CCing the Gentoo/X folks for confirmation? That doc appears to be in the docs project space, not X's, so it'd be docs' bug. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman