From: Alin Dobre <alin@××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] rsync timeout and installation instructions
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:49:03
Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> I have a user requesting me to update the installation instructions with a > paragraph or two about increasing the RSYNC_TIMEOUT variable if the user > receives a time-out even if he uses broadband access (due to too little > system resources). > > I'm personally not in favor of this (too little users will really need this > information) and it's in the handbook already (when RSYNC_TIMEOUT is > discussed) although not that visible to the users.
In the 6th chapter of the 1st part (where the `sync to latest' issue is discussed), you can create a note containing a reference to the 2nd chapter of the 3rd part, directly to the RSYNC-* variables, something like: <note> Users encountering timeouts for the rsync command, may want to set the RSYNC_TIMEOUT variable's value to a higher one (default is 180, may be set to 300 or even higher). For more information about the RSYNC related portage variables, please read <<par3chap2_url>> </note>
> > As a compromise I can always put this in a FAQ but honestly, I don't think > this is a FAQ (it's the first time I hear about increasing RSYNC_TIMEOUT for > broadband Internet access).
Neither a FAQ issue (not happenning often) nor a Quick Install guides one (I thought of this one, too).
-- Alin DOBRE Registered Linux User #287199 Documentation Team - Gentoo.RO Community http://www.gentoo.ro