From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbooks / Autobuilds: What needs to be done?
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 00:38:36
Nathan Zachary wrote:

> Okay, we can continue the conversation via email instead of on the > mailing list if you would like. I would be more than happy to try and > look at some of the bugs.
Well, I joined the this list to help out with documentation. One of the things I'm working on is installing older hardware with CF-to-ide converters. What I need is a basic understanding of how a installation differs with autobuilds vs the the existing handbook. My suggestions is that once I get that knowledge assimilation of the basics of using autobuild to perform an installation, to just edit a copy of the handbook the way I think it should be modified. Put the doc somewhere for others to review. Then maybe some 'master editor' can look at my suggestions and others' suggestions and make a final version. I like to use installation docs as I go through several installations and refine the docs as I go. Slow but thorough and inclusive. I lack experience in using autobuilds to do an installation. So if somebody has some skeleton notes, I can use on some on older machines, I can provide a modified doc, if that is interesting to folks on the doc team? Perhaps it could be an alternative installation guide that I maintain for Gentoo, because on gentoo user, we always have folks that need help putting Gentoo on older (586) hardware. I intend to be very verbose in adding iptables for firewalls and Bind 9 for DNS primary and secondary servers. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestion as to how I can help. I've been using Gentoo since 2004.1...... An I can can do the 586 firewalls and DNS servers separate from this group... James