From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Xorg Documentation Suggestion
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:50:20
Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Hello Roger, > > > On 06/01/10 02:55, Roger A. Simoneau wrote: > >> Greetings; >> >> I've been in the process of upgrading (been a couple years). I ran into >> a bit of an issue that took a bit to resolve. My suggestion comes based >> on what I did to resolve the issue. >> >> Please add a reference to the X Server Configuration Howto that the >> individual may require emerging xf86-input-evdev prior to execution of >> the X server. In my case, that package wasn't automatically emerged >> when I emerged the Xorg server. >> > from what you describe I have the impression that status quo may need > fixing rather than documentation. > > How come xf86-input-evdev is needed but not a dependency? > Is it a bug in the ebuild? Was your usage unusual in any way? > Could you research that for us and come back with more details? > > Thanks, best, > > > > Sebastian > >
I just did a reinstall on my system and it appears to have pulled in the drivers correctly. This is what equery shows: smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-mouse * These packages depend on xf86-input-mouse: x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_mouse ? x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse) smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-evdev * These packages depend on xf86-input-evdev: x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_evdev ? x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev) smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-keyboard * These packages depend on xf86-input-keyboard: x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_keyboard ? x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard) smoker-new ~ # Also, when I emerged xorg, it pulled in evdev, keyboard and mouse drivers as I have them set in make.conf. It even pulled in my nvidia drivers since it is set in make.conf as well. The biggest issue I ran into was a bad set of binaries that I copied from the old system. Other than that, the install instructions seemed to have been fine. I followed them since it has been a few years since I did a install. I did find myself sort of lost for a bit tho. After the reboot part, its like the install docs ran dry. I had to go search the doc list to find the X and KDE part. I think it should have a link to KDE, gnome and maybe a couple other options such as Fluxbox or something. Sort of guide a person at least a little. This is a link to the page I viewed: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=12 Dale :-) :-)