From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Wiki, Take #whatever
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:16:38
Hey again. So there's some discussion (again) on starting up an official
Gentoo wiki. Official meaning it's hosted on our infrastructure; e.g.
wiki.gentoo.org. This time the discussion is coming from our fellow
developers and infra overlords.

I know that the GDP discussed this any number of times on this list, and
some of us (most notably myself and neysx) have discussed it on the
forums, with occasional feedback from other developers.

However, it's been quite awhile since the last time we (the GDP) talked
it over. Given our current issues of manpower and time (see
archives.gentoo.org for commit totals), perhaps a wiki could solve some
issues?

The classic problems are:
1) Who has access
2) Who reports faulty articles
3) Who fixes them
4) Who verifies the article is correct
5) ???
6) Profit

So, I'd like to hear what you think. Should we have a wiki? Why or why
not? If so, for once, does anyone have some *sane* ways to admin and
moderate such a wiki?

There's no question that having a properly-administered wiki can be a
powerful asset. Look at Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, the Xfce wiki, etc. What
about Gentoo?

Halcyon has brought it up again on https://bugs.gentoo.org/75855, but
BEFORE I/we go over there and weigh in, let's hash it out here on our
list. :)