From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 17:48:22
1 Sven Vermeulen posted on Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:14:49 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > I noticed we don't describe in the handbook that Portage can have
4 > per-package environment variables (like CFLAGS) through
5 > /etc/portage/env.
6
7 IIRC this (and /etc/portage/patches) was originally deliberately kept an
8 "undocumented feature", to avoid trouble with missing info in bug
9 reports, since emerge info didn't report package specific information.
10
11 Now that portage has emerge --info <pkg> and it's what's requested in the
12 usual output when a build aborts (tho AFAIK bugzilla still mentions
13 emerge info output only), and the logs themselves are rather better at
14 reporting user patches (for the patches subdir), that's not so much of a
15 problem, and the portage documentation itself mentions both usages of the
16 env subdir (tho not the patches subdir since that's still ebuild
17 activated).
18
19 But the handbooks were rather stale before you came back and started the
20 update push (thanks again =:^), and this is the first time I believe I've
21 seen the issue raised.
22
23 I like the idea and believe it best fits in working with portage. The
24 new "advanced features" section you proposed sounds good.
25
26 Now that ccache has been deemphasized, perhaps move it there as well,
27 getting it a bit further out of the the newbie path. (Tho I personally
28 use it and have never had an issue... and don't necessarily agree with
29 the deemphasis since it really helps speed up rebuilds in the case where
30 users are likely to be most frustrated, a broken build that's later
31 fixed, or that aborted due to random job-token issues that aren't
32 repeatable, etc. But I understand why it's being done, from the gentoo-
33 dev perspective.)
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman