From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Supporting CC-BY-SA 3.0 and later versions
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:01:32
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 01:11:41AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> What about a mechanism (in-doc comments or the like) that would allow > existing authors to indicate that they're OK (or not) with a future > upgrade to CC-BY-SA 3.0?
Something akin to GPL's "or later" clause? Perhaps.
> If authors on existing docs were encouraged to take advantage of such a > feature/policy as opportunity invited, it'd lessen the work to eventually > upgrade at least some existing docs, as well, tho it wouldn't help that > much for those no longer involved, who would in any case need to be > contacted manually before such an update. But it would at least stop the > problem from getting worse, and would incrementally ease the work > necessary if someone eventually decided to actively try for an update.
I don't consider this as a "problem" per se, so I don't think we need to put much effort in these things. Licenses evolve; documents too. Eventually, old(er) documents will be replaced with newer ones anyhow. And it is not that the 2.5 license has a major issue for us - it's just that 3.0 is somewhat newer and used on the wiki. Wkr, Sven Vermeulen