From: Gregorio Guidi <greg_g@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:33:45
On Wednesday 09 November 2005 16:15, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 17:57 +0100, Gregorio Guidi wrote: > > On Monday 07 November 2005 15:27, Chris Gianelloni wrote: > > > ... > > > > > > > Hmm, I'd like it, if we also (re)moved stage1 and stage2 from visible > > > > directory, and renamed stage3 to something more appropriate by the > > > > 2006.0. I mean, it will probably be confusing for a new user if the > > > > guide just says "Oh, we have this things that say 1 and 2 in the > > > > directory, but please ignore them and start from 3, because 1 and 2 > > > > are only for devs, k?" And it won't help, that old users will most > > > > likely continue to advice for stage 1 in so many support channels. > > > > > > I'm not sure if the removal of stages 1 and 2 will happen in time for > > > 2006.0, simply because it is a *very* heated issue and one that will > > > take some serious politics to get enacted. > > > > > > I guarantee that I won't be a popular guy. *grin* > > > > That's where a bit of PR and marketing techniques could help... if you > > say "Release Engeneering decided to not release stage1 and stage2 for > > 2006.0." every user out there will try to kill you. > > Instead, if you announce "For 2006.0, Release Engeneering decided to > > unify the functionalities of the three installation stages you were used > > to in single Stage file that provides the same capabilities and > > flexibility with less complication." (and change the handbook along this > > direction) how can someone complain about that? > > Doing a bootstrap from a stage3 tarball is worthless. You've made it > sound like users should bootstrap from a stage3 tarball. > > While I completely agree that it is all in how you present it, there are > certain things that we absolutely wish to get away from, and one of them > is having the user *ever* run bootstrap.sh themselves.
Sure, I was thinking at the handbook in the followng terms: for users that want maximum customization (ex stage1 users) it should suggest to untar the stage, tweak make.conf and run emerge -e system, while for other users (ex stage3 users) it should suggest to untar the stage and go on with the normal instructions. -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list