From: "Roger A. Simoneau" <hyrion@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Xorg Documentation Suggestion
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 02:39:53
1 > > How come xf86-input-evdev is needed but not a dependency?
2 > > Is it a bug in the ebuild?
3
4 Good question. As far as I know with regards my usage, it's fine...
5 however, it has been some time since I updated so it would probably be a
6 good idea to review all the USE settings available. My USE settings are
7 as follows:
8
9 "a52 aac acpi alsa -arts -avahi bash-completion branding bzip2 cairo
10 calendar cddb cdinstall cdr cracklib crypt cscope css dbus dri dvd dvdr
11 dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo exif fam ffmpeg fftw firefox ftp gd
12 gif gimp glut gnome gphoto2 gpm gsl gstreamer gtk hal hddtemp icc java
13 java6 jpeg jpeg2k kde kerberos krb4 ldap libcaca mad midi mikmod mmx mp3
14 mpeg mplayer musicbrainz nls nocd nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl -oss pam
15 pdf php perl png postgres ppds qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime scanner sdl
16 sockets spell sse sse2 ssl svg svga tcl tcp tcpd tiff tk truetype
17 unicode usb videos vim-syntax vorbis win32codecs X xcomposite xml
18 xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc zlib"
19
20 Additionally, the INPUT_DEVICES is set to "evdev".
21
22 The stage3 version I used (downloaded some time ago) is
23 stage3-i686-20100126.tar.bz2. Perhaps what I experienced is something
24 already corrected. There was an associating portage at the time as
25 well, downloaded on Feb 20th.
26
27 > > Also, when I emerged xorg, it pulled in evdev, keyboard and mouse
28 > > drivers as I have them set in make.conf.
29
30 That's interesting.... it raises a question - at least to myself - if
31 there's a particular USE setting to trigger evdev. Examination of
32 the /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc file shows no indication of such. Is
33 there some other indicator that should be part of the make.conf file
34 beyond the USE settings and the INPUT_DEVICES setting?
35
36 Final note: for my rebuild, I'm doing so on a separate partition, logged
37 in there so it should be a clean environment to work in.
38
39 Roger S.