From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] GuideXML: define values & use conditional tags
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:21:55
1 Xavier Neys wrote:
2
3 > I'll try to add it all on www.g.o early next week, or early the week after.
4 > I receive family this weekend and I'll be away the next one, and I don't
5 > commit anything like this unless I know I can be available in case anything
6 > goes wrong :)
7
8 Done. I'll amend xml-guide.xml next week though.
9
10 x86 & amd64 arch specific files have been merged.
11 hb-install-config.xml is now clean of foreign arches for all arches.
12 Other common files still need to be "cleaned up".
13 Feel free to file patches on bugs if you feel like trying it :)
16 What this feature is meant for:
17 1) define values that need to be changed at every release. Use values only,
18 don't even put units in there.
19 2) allow tests, usually on arch, to avoid foreign arches from common files.
20 3) possibly merge arch-specific files that are very similar, like x86 & amd64
21 which share the same tools, terminology, partition schemes...
22 4) possibly merge current & xxxx.y files as long as they are very similar
23 *and* stay similar at least until the next release.
24 FYI, xxxx.y docs are supposed to keep working as long as xxxx.y is the latest
25 version, current handbooks keep moving along.
26
27 What it is *not* meant for:
28 Merge everything back into huge files full of conditionals.
29
30 Feedback, questions? Use this ML or #gentoo-doc
33 Cheers,
34 --
35 / Xavier Neys
36 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project