From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 08:59:46
1 On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:13:59PM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
3 > feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been
4 > actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed
5 > RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as
6 > such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.
7
8 I disagree. It is actively being suggested on #gentoo, and we already
9 document features that could (or even will) result in RESO:WONTFIX, like
10 using ~arch (both for a small set of packages as well as the entire system).
11
12 I would rather have a <warn> in place then that sais it will hinder support
13 during bug reports and might result in RESO:WONTFIX unless the user removes
14 the specific settings and rebuilds with the system ones.
15
16 Not documenting is, in my opinion, a lesser solution than documenting and
17 saying why it is bad.
18
19 Wkr,
20 Sven Vermeulen