From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbook: Disc Labels?
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:31:28
1 On 02/08/11 14:11, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:19:58 -0500
3 > wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> Some discussion on modifying the Gentoo Handbook to
8 >> describe how to use Disk Labels is warranted?
9 >>
10 >> Many have switched to disk labels in fstab. Maybe
11 >> the Gentoo handbook should include a section on disk label
12 >> usage to prepare for the future?
13 >
14 > These aren't needed to get a system up and running. Yeah, Ubuntu uses
15 > them for various ID purposes, but nothing really critical. Unless
16 > there's a clear need for them, for example if some package in the
17 > @system set will use them in a way that our users will see, I doubt
18 > the handbook needs to cover them. Adding labels using udev just seems
19 > very finicky and time-consuming, and doesn't seem like it would be of
20 > much utility when users are already swamped with everything else the
21 > handbook asks them to do.
22 >
23 > If someone's willing to provide the text, then sure, I'll consider
24 > adding it to the handbooks, but if not, then I won't spend any energy
25 > trying to write something up. Things like GPT for hard disks are far
26 > more important, now that the large-size disks are shipping with it
27 > rather than the old MSDOS partition arrangement..
30 OK, I have opened up bug 354229 on this issue. Please give some
31 time for folks to post to the bug on ideas and text with
32 examples.
33
34 thanks for your consideration.
37 James