From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] svn vs cvs
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:16:53
On Thursday 15 September 2005 04:28 pm, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> One of the consequences of the management restructuring is that at some > point stuff in gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en will probably move around. Of > course, doing that in CVS is a royal pain. I'd love to see our gentoo > tree migrate over to svn (not the portage tree, just gentoo!), but of > course you folks are the major users of that tree. Has this been > considered? This tree is still fairly large, so it might not yet be > feasible w/ svn, but I don't know if anybody has tried.
although moving around in cvs is a pita, i dont see it being all that common in the xml subdir ... many of the other benefits that svn has over cvs (branching and changesets) just isnt that useful in terms of website management imo ... also, although i cant comment on this directly, i imagine that all the infrastructure we have in place (automated QA checks, cvs->website nodes, etc...) would be a pain to change over too ... -mike -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list