From: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] cross-compiling for Windows
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:53:55
1 Hi,
2
3 Use mingw-w64 project and not old mingw, this wiki is wrong.
4 Don't be worried about these comments.
5
6 crossdev -t i686-w64-mingw32
7 crossdev -t x86_64-w64-mingw32
8
9 Alon
12 On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
13
14 > Hi all
15 >
16 > I have the following scenario: I have a hobby project (msndfile.sf.net),
17 > which
18 > is a MATLAB MEX file. To create Windows binaries I currently have a
19 > Windows
20 > VM, which used to be a requirement in order to test compiling the project
21 > with
22 > the Visual Compiler, but I semi-recently ported the project to C99
23 > (because why
24 > not, its my project), so I compile it with MingW now.
25 >
26 > Therefore I've become interested in ditching my Windows VM (which has
27 > become
28 > somewhat painful to maintain) in favour of cross-compiling for Windows and
29 > running MATLAB under Wine (assuming it works, which I'll have to find out
30 > myself).
31 >
32 > The only real questions I have is if the MinGW page on the Gentoo Wiki [0]
33 > is in
34 > conflict with the following recommendation from the cross-compiler handbook
35 > [1]:
36 >
37 > "However, there are some scenarios, albeit fewer as time goes on, which
38 > causes portage to require or to inflict changes to real root. To keep
39 > your
40 > Gentoo installation clean, we highly recommend that crossdev
41 > installation
42 > and all cross-compiling activities occur inside a Gentoo stage3 chroot.
43 > (This is the same chroot you used to install Gentoo.)"
44 >
45 > Keep in mind that I don't want to cross-emerge (the libraries I use exist
46 > as
47 > Windows binaries), I just want to use the cross-compiler in my own build
48 > system(s). Does the recommendation still hold then?
49 >
50 > As a final note, I originally thought winegcc would be a suitable
51 > alternative
52 > to MinGW, but it seems that it's only intended for compiling Windows
53 > applications for direct use with Wine. Is this correct, or can it also act
54 > as a
55 > drop-in replacement for MinGW?
56 >
57 > [0] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mingw
58 > [1]
59 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
60 >
61 > Greetings,
62 > --
63 > Marc Joliet
64 > --
65 > "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
66 > don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup