From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Catalyst, was: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Cross Dev Tricks + Hardened questions
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:13:51
1 Eckard Brauer wrote:
2 > My favourite target would be to Gentoo-ify a couple of servers -- means
3 > to have a flexible build system. That in turn means to build different
4 > types of targets (database, xen-host, app-engine, web server, etc.; I
5 > already can do that with stage4) and to individually (1) fill that
6 > targets with (1.a) configuration, (1.b) some custom code and data and
7 > (2) build one or more (non-ISO9660) file system image(s) of it, which
8 > can be sent to a LV or a storage system for use (boot) afterwards.
9 >
10 > Where is the best place to do so, will I have to create a stage5 target
11 > (how? -- I suspect this is the way to go) or is there a good hook in
12 > stage4 I simply didn't see?
16 Possibly only loosely hitting your target, but I recently posted my
17 experience on using custom profiles to handle my vserver needs. In my
18 case I'm not eliminating gcc from my guests, and only using binpackages
19 as a convenience not as the only option, however, the basic principle
20 has worked really nicely.
21
22 As advised by someone else on the list I created subprofiles for
23 different types of servers and then I can enforce say certain useflags
24 for the nginx servers which are different to the apache servers, etc
25
26 I think I posted this on hardened, but I'm getting a bit confused which
27 list we are having this discussion on since it seems to be happening on
28 both -embedded and -hardened?
29
30 Good luck
31