From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] personal compile-farm ?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:13:47
1 Hi Janusz,
2
3 On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:31 PM, <jsyrytczyk@×××××××××.pl> wrote:
4 > Hi, I got Atom 330 with this  motherboard sice  six months or so.
5 >
6 > http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D945GCLF2-D945GCLF2D/D945GCLF2-D945GCLF2D-overview.htm
7 >
8 > The machine runs all right, but the compilation times are similar to *very*
9 > outdated Celeron 1.7 GHz (which is one core only). The Atom goes very snappy
10 > on every other task it performs (software mirror, backup, rsync, remote NX
11 > station, email, iscsi, puppet, pulseaudio server etc.),
12 >
13 > but
14 >
15 > compilation times *are* slow.
16
17 Your reply has been the most relevent to date, having been the only
18 person who has an Atom 330 device for reference.
19
20 After reading about your compilation speeds, I did a bit of googling
21 for "intel core 2 duo vs intel atom 330", and found [1] which reveals
22 quite a lot. It would seem that all of the Atom 330 "slowdowns" are
23 caused by memory latency.
24
25 It seems, that the Atom (both the 230 and 330) were not designed to
26 use the blazingly fast FSB frequencies that all other modern Intel
27 processors use, which is likely the primary reason for (sub-par)
28 performance, and probably also the reason for their low power
29 consumption. Most of the 45nm Core-2 processors support FSB
30 frequencies around 1 or 1.3 GHz. On the other hand, the Atom 330 only
31 supports FSB frequencies of 533 MHz. In terms of silicon / FETs, high
32 clock speeds == high power leakage.
33
34 So essentially, if the clock speeds of a Duo and Atom core were the
35 same, then the Atom would require twice as much time as the Duo for
36 the the same amount of "work" (i.e. memory reads / writes). Assuming
37 that the Atom in-use power is about 1/2 of the duo, then both systems
38 consume the same amount of power for a "task", but the Atom takes
39 twice as long.
40
41 In reality, the Atom consumes over half of the Duo in-use power.
42 Therefore, power-efficiency ironically favours the Intel Core-2 Duo
43 rather than the Atom for computation-intensive applications. For
44 multimedia, I would say that the Atom is slightly more
45 power-efficient.
46
47 In my estimation, the lower in-use power of the Atom would be lost if
48 it used a 1.3 GHz FSB controller. Does anyone disagree?
49
50 Conclusion:
51
52 The main bottleneck on the Atom 330 is not the CPU frequency, but
53 rather the FSB frequency. Therefore, for a dedicated HTPC and / or NAS
54 device, the an Intel Atom 330 device is a good choice. For a
55 dedicated, low-power build machine, the Atom 330 is a bad choice for
56 performance, but a good choice if only moderate performance is
57 required.
58
59 For a box that is intended to be used for HTPC / NAS and also a
60 dedicated low-power build machine, an Atom 330 device is still a
61 decent choice, because at least it performs efficiently for 2 out of 3
62 functions, and it's unlikely (physically impossible?) that one will
63 find a comparable dual-core, low-power, fanless (and not liquid
64 cooled) device with a 1.3 GHz FSB.
65
66 So ... yea, I think I'll probably grab one of these ZOTAC boards
67 anyway, at least for having an HTPC. Using it as a dedicated build
68 machine would still be useful, even if the performance isn't
69 particularly great. In any event, it won't be building packages
70 constantly for my purposes, but only periodically.
74 Cheers,
75
76 Chris
79 [1] http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-core-atom-330,2141-6.html