From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] X server on minimal system
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:58:11
1 On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Joe Sapp wrote:
2
3 > --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
4 > I'm trying to get an X server running on a minimal system built from a
5 > stage3 uclibc tarball.
6
7 hardened / non-hardened stage3?
8
9 > I think I've taken all the necessary steps, but I
10
11 which ?
12
13 > keep getting errors like:
14 >
15 > Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 4
16 > Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 9
17 > Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 3
18
19 binutils version (maybe gcc too) ?
20
21 these are relocations related to PIE/PIC ( hardened gcc used? )
22
23 > ...
24 > Symbol _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ from module /usr/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
25 > is unresolved!
26
27 bad for you, your build env seems to be broken
28
29 > Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 10
30 >
31 > Here's some relevant info:
32 > USE="bitmap-fonts dlloader truetype-fonts type1-fonts uclibc" (have tried
33 > most combinations of all of these - always with uclibc on).
34
35 uclibc in USE is obsoleted (this was replaced by elibc_uclibc, but does
36 not have to be added to USE - "autodetected" - )
37
38 > Kernel is 2.6.11-hardened-r15 (All types of binaries are supported - it's
39 > the only thing I can think of that's relevant that could cause these errors).
40 > xorg-x11-6.8.2-r5
41
42 what kernel headers are installed and if you switched from headers 2.4 to
43 2.6, have you also rebuilt at least uclibc?
46 > I've read some mention of people on this list getting X to work - mind
47 > sharing some wisdom? Do I have any other options in terms of X servers?
48
49 X works, you have a problem generally with your build environment.
50 a. IIRC the stages are built w/ kernel-headers-2.4, if you want to use
51 2.6, it would be better to start from stage1 and rebuild everything
52 b. haven't tested current hardened stage3, but if I would want hardened
53 uClibc freshly installed, I would also start from a stage1.
54 To check why I say b. run (consider adding all the dirs from your PATH to
55 the command below)
56 file /bin/* /usr/bin/* /sbin/* /usr/sbin/* | grep ELF | grep -v 'shared
57 object'
58 The listed files (executables) should all be static binaries, if they are
59 not, the packages providing those files were not built hardened.
60
61 > (kdrive seems to give the same result, but I'm currently trying again.)
62
63 kdrive is obsoleted (at least IMHO), try maybe the modular-X (emerge
64 xorg-server), package masked.
65
66 Peter
69 Peter S. Mazinger <ps dot m at gmx dot net> ID: 0xA5F059F2
70 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
73 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list